Saturday, September 13, 2008

Now screening

This week I wrapped up class 2 (out of 4) in beginner silk screening...something I've always wanted to try. So far, I'm not quite sure if I've got that printmaking gene. Mind you, I love the results of silk screening, but doing so seems like a lot of work...more cleaning screens and squeegees than actual art-making. And then there's the stress involved in the one shot deal of getting a perfect print when you have your fabric pressed and ready underneath. My instructor held the screen while I squeegeed. I had to touch up the print a bit, but overall I was happy with my one-of-a-kind, hot pink, black sheep t-shirt.


Here's my beginner supplies. All clean...except for a faint sheep ghost which will mark my screen forever. Next week we'll try a new technique. I'll keep you posted. I'm not giving up on this screen quite yet.

No comments: