Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Hanging Acorn Frame tutorial

My girls and I went for a fall walk the other day. Crunching under our feet were hundreds of little acorn hats. We stopped to inspect them closer, loving their tiny details...an absolutely gorgeous crafting material. We collected as many as our pockets could hold and brought them back to the studio for some acorn brainstorming. While my daughters dreamed up a family of acorn people, I worked to create an acorn frame with a hanger.

materials needed:
acorn tops of various sizes
flat wooden frame with at least an 1 inch border
hot glue gun
brown craft paint
paintbrush
20 inch piece of 1/2 inch wide brown ribbon
a photo or piece of art to frame

step one.
Remove the glass and back of the frame for crafting purposes. Paint the frame with brown craft paint.

step two.
Attach the ribbon middle to a large acorn top by hot gluing the ribbon into the acorn.


step three.
Hot glue the ends of the ribbon to the top of the front frame corners like so.


step four.
Hot glue acorn tops to the front of the frame. You will cover where the ribbon was previously attached.

step five.
Insert the frame glass along with a photo or a piece of original art and hang your finished creation on a wall or a doorknob.

Giving thanks for the little things including time to paint, craft and look for acorns. : )

4 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so sweet June! I love the frame and the gorgeous art inside it. What a lovely project, thanks so much for sharing this. I'll be linking.

Sleepyhead Designs Studio said...

Love this! Love your blog-came across it on the Michael's site.

Amanda said...

Oh what I cool idea!! I really like that picture frame!

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Truly yours
Jeph Normic