Thursday, August 9, 2007

Surf's Up


It's 99 degrees today in Ohio and I'm thinking of changing the girl's room theme from beach shack to igloo hut. While I contemplate painting ice bricks on the walls, I thought I'd share a personalized, wall hanging, surf board project from the current room. I cut a piece of 3/4" pine wood 32" long by 9" wide tapering the ends with a band saw. Then, I sanded the edges of the board and prepared my design. I cut an oval for the center out of paper to make a pattern which I transferred on the wood. Next, I free handed the flower and the girl's names. I used painters tape to make nice crisp straight lines. After painting with acrylics, I sprayed with a matte finish and attached a hanger on the back. The room has a hula skirt border stapled along the top of the wall purchased from a party supply store. As for the igloo idea, I just ran it past the eldest daughter.... Turns out it's a no-go so we'll be basking in the sun (inside and out) for a while longer!

No comments: