Thursday, August 23, 2007

Back to School Supply Bag

We're exactly 5 days away from the first day of school for my soon-to-be third grader and kindergartner. Most of the school supplies are checked off of the list. For me having this bag in the closet is the equivalent of having a bag of Easter candy tucked away. Too tempting.


I had purchased this rather plain switch plate at a thrift store a few days ago for a quarter. In the store I heard it calling to me (as many objects seem to do) begging to be transformed. Nothing too special about it...you can purchase plain switch plates (for full price) at home stores or craft stores. Back to that school supply bag--here was my excuse to pilfer a 20 cent box of fresh crayons.




I decided I'd use the crayon wrappers to decorate the switchplate. With curious kids looking on ("Mom are those my crayons?"), I proceeded to carefully strip the crayons of their wrappers using an x-acto knife. My favorite part of the crayon wrapper is the name especially now that three languages are included. How cool is that? Nora didn't care one bit that she was using naked crayons, but I can't say that the older back-to-schoolers were too happy about Mom's latest project. I assured them I had more unopened boxes of intact crayons to bring with them on their first day of school. Next, I took scissors and cut the crayon wrappers to create a sort of starburst design. I used Mod Podge to adhere and let the switch plate dry. Then, I added a decorative border with black and white acrylic paint replicating the swirl found on the crayon wrapper. I also added some details to the middle of the plate. After that I mod podged again (love that stuff) and let dry overnight.

Here is the transformed switch plate for a mere 45 cents including the cost of the plate itself. This plate has replaced a boring white one and is living in our basement office/arts and crafts room. The once dreary thrift store switch plate is much happier now and I've had my back-to-school crayon fix.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! June, you never cease to amaze me. You are definitely one of the most creative people I know.

PuppyLovePrincess said...

These are just so colorful and vibrant! If it's OK with you, I'll be linking from my blog (w/ credits, etc.)... I loveloveLOVE this idea. Thanks for sharing :)