Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Eye-catching Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

We have another big birthday coming up around here. Miss Nora will be turning five in a couple of days. We've already sat down together for the official birthday cake consultation. Along with that important decision (that changes daily), we sorted out exactly what kind of treat she will bring to celebrate at preschool. Cupcakes were a nobrainer, but the type of cupcake was another story. It had to be different and in Nora's wiser-than-age-four voice, "It had to catch the eye" (yeah, she really said that.) This ice cream cone cupcake won in a close battle with caterpillar cupcakes. I found the basic idea for these in a Good Housekeeping article saved from several years back.

After baking up 24 or so vanilla cupcakes, I gathered two types of frosting, Redhots, non-pareils and vanilla wafer cookies. I cut the vanilla wafers in half and then trimmed each half into a triangle shape.

Next, I frosted each cupcake with chocolate icing and added a triangular vanilla wafer for the cone.

Then using a large star decorating tip, I generously piped on the lavender icing for the ice cream.

I finished each cupcake with a Redhot for the cherry and non-pareils for the sprinkles. They turned out so cute and came together way faster than those reindeer. I made a few extra to taste-test after which my client gave her final seal of approval. Nora is *very* excited to come to school tomorrow with her special birthday treats. Now to narrow down that cake.


*find more recipe ideas over
here (one of my favorite blogs.)

18 comments:

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Those are so adorable! They definitely catch the eye!

Anonymous said...

Hi June,

It's me Lorraine from Art&Soul,
Great cup cakes!! I hope you got
all your shopping done, and had a
great time.

See next year hopefully, at ARTFEST!
Love your blog.

Lorraine

Lacey said...

These are sooo cute! What a fun idea! Seriously creative!!!

Michele said...

Marvelous!!

YETENEK-SİZİN said...

i think very delicious cup cake. it is very great

Sleepyhead Designs Studio said...

cutest cupcakes I've seen in awhile-have to file this away!

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

yum-o!

We are doing an "unbirthday" party for our visit home in about 5 weeks; we might need to try this!

Amanda said...

Oh these are so cute!! What a great idea, thanks for sharing that!!

Anke Martin said...

Happy Birthday Nora! Hope you had a wonderful day turning 5!
June, they look awesome, I bet her class mates loved them! Thanks for sharing this cute idea!
Smiles, Anke ;)

Jo said...

What a great idea. thanks for sharing

Jennifer said...

what a cute idea! I love it and will definitly have to save this one to use here!
Thanks for sharing...I found you through Tasty Tuesday

Jane Anne said...

Those are so, so, sooo cute. I have a few kids that would gobble them up (and probably not enjoy the adorable factor).

I joined up at Tasty Tuesday today, too: Monster Cookies

Felicia said...

Amazing! You are super talented with the decorating! I bet her entire class was thrilled.

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

Oh MY! I am very impressed.

Hoosier Homemade said...

These are the cutest ever! I'd love for you to join in the fun at my Cupcake Tuesday! Thanks so much for sharing!
http://hoosierhomemade.com/cupcake-tuesdayluck-of-the-irish/
~Liz

mrs. c said...

These are very "high on the cute scale"! i am a pre-k teacher and my kids would love these!!!thanks for sharing and the great step-by-step directions.

Mommy Elephant Sarah said...

Oh I just LOVE these!! I'm going to make them for 4th of July! ( I know it's a bit off, but it will be fun to eat with the family then)

luluvillage said...

Awesome!
I love a good tutorial, and yours is wonderful: steps and directions and clear photos, thanks so much for sharing!