Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Booth Revealed

All the little bits and pieces of the booth I've been working on came together for the show over the weekend. The booth made me happy. Here was my total vision put together.

Unfortunately the show...well not so great. My firstborn will not have her first year (or first days!) of college paid for. I could blame lots of factors (you know now that I'm a veteran)...the crowds didn't come, the hotel (in the process of a brand switch) was poorly marked and hard to find, parking was bad, the crowd was museuming rather than buying, the economy stinks, etc. And finally, maybe I didn't fit this particular show after all. Not trying to make excuses, rather wanting to learn, put things into perspective and most importantly not blame myself. But don't think I was that clearheaded on Saturday. Hearing compliments was wonderful, but they sure don't equal the wonderfulness/confidence build of booming sales.

I will do this again now that I have a booth designed. I just need to find the right venue...and if you think you know of a good fit please e-mail. Suggestions are most welcome.

“Move out of your comfort zone. You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new."
—Brian Tracy

No regrets. : )

p.s. thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the positive comments as i prepped for this. i can't tell you how much
your words mean to me!

6 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

The booth looks fabulous!

Terre Busse said...

Your booth looks great. It looks fun and like a place I would like to hang out.

I too had a fair this past weekend. The crowds were down from previous years and more people were looking not buying. I didn't do as well as I had hoped either.

I love your end quote, so true.
Your art is beautiful, keep stepping into awkward.
Terry

Lydia Fiedler said...

Your booth is AMAZING!!!

I have never had much luck at those shows, but sometimes great contacts come from it. And your branded so well - your booth looks a lot like your site - that the more people see you and remember who you are, the more that will build!

I'd watch your website stats and see if they tick up.

The best money I spend at shows is on business card. I practically throw them at people. Then sometimes as much as a year later, I'll get an email.

You did an awesome job - no worries!

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

well done-you stepped out there and your TRIED and you put your all into it. Very inspiring!

Anke Martin said...

Hi June, it looks wonderful! Sorry to hear it didn't go that well....having your own business isn't easy for sure...lot's of questions how to and what to do to get more sales. So I feel with you. I joined once an art show as well and it didn't go that well, I just got the table costs out thanks to my grandma buying some(lol), but like you said, it's the experience and the fun. Even I haven't found some more time to do it again it sure was a great experience. So don't give up!!!!!! Every beginning is hard. By the way I love the quote! So true!
Smiles and cheer up your way, Anke ;)

MB Shaw said...

I don't know how I missed this, I guess it was when Merlyn died and I was kind of underground for awhile. Anyhoo, your booth turned out great! Really a nice job. I hope you line up another show soon because you work is super-duper and you deserve lots of success :-)