Friday, May 23, 2008

worry

I created this piece for Illustration Friday's topic of the week: worry.

I think just hearing the word makes me...well you know...worry. And there certainly is enough to worry about these days. I used various headlines and entries just from my May 23rd newspaper as the background. No problem finding material...health concerns, housing declines, gas prices, the war in Iraq, tornados and deadly car crashes provided plenty of mental anguish. And I know I can't sit and dwell on all the "what ifs" and worst case scenarios that may or may not come my way. Sure it's all there in the background, but over top life gives us beauty and joy. Butterflies have found their way into my work after recently being inspired by my kid's butterfly garden. I thought butterflies were a good metaphor here. Life is about flying and making the most of what we have been given. Deep breaths, yoga, art, whatever it takes, keep the anxiety waaaaaaaay in the background.

5 comments:

Mick said...

I like this piece a lot, especially the butterfly. Even before reading the post it spoke to me of the fact that hope springs eternal. The piece on the butterfly garden was special too, it must have been great fun.

Creatively Lisa said...

I love your journal pages. That class must have been a lot of fun. I am just starting to play with journal art and I'm loving it. Great job!

Glitz Ink said...

This is sooo beautiful!!! The colors are brilliant!

carra said...

Beautiful! I love the colours and the butterfly makes me happy.

Willie Baronet said...

Amen June! :-)

I think I'll do some yoga...