Monday, October 12, 2009

One brick closer

I almost didn't participate this year because I thought I didn't have the time...then I reconsidered. Bricks Along the Journey a.k.a. the annual Breast Cancer Bricks Silent Auction was way too important not to make the time.

from the Bricks Along the Journey website:
"The "Bricks Along the Journey" Project was established as a symbol of life, rejuvenation, and hope. Bricks salvaged from the rubble of old buildings have been transformed into stunning works of art. This transformation is the perfect metaphor for the experience shared by all Breast Cancer survivors. We take these bricks that have been knocked down and bring them to life again. The brick auctions have been instrumental in raising money for various, local Breast Cancer agencies."

I started my piece with a three-holed brick, a piece of plywood cut to size for the back and four wooden (child) building blocks for the roof.

I attached everything securely together with liquid nails and then gessoed the entire piece both to seal and add texture. After that, I added bits of collage and paint to the house.

I sewed a little quilted heart detail for the front of the house. And I...

...created the little bird on the top of the house with various fabric scraps. Then, I attached button eyes, a wisp of wool and a breast cancer awareness pink ribbon. (note: the main body of the bird was inspired by a project included in one of my favorite books: Warm Fuzzies.)

Here are a few different views of my finished brick titled "Flying High." The brick home is symbolic of shelter and stability, while the bird represents the courage to leave the safety of the nest and fly again. Now I'm off to deliver this to the auction chair with the humble hope that my art can help this worthy cause. Admittedly, one brick isn't much by itself, but many bricks together can build houses.

To make a donation to Bricks Along the Journey
click here, then click "Donate." If you are in the Cincinnati area, the silent brick auction will be on Sunday, October 25th, 2009. Visit the website for details.

3 comments:

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

Another dimension to you June that makes me appreciate you and your work even more-captivating!

Jolene said...

wow...this is beautiful

June Pfaff Daley said...

Thank you! I am so grateful to be a small part of this event. When I left the auction, the bid was up to $200! I am so grateful to all of the brick bidders and the organizers of this event. More proof that art heals.