Monday, June 15, 2009

Carving out time

The past week or so feels like a blur. I think if you asked me what I've been doing to be soooo insanely busy I would have absolutely no idea. Well besides design work, adopting a kitten, running kids to~nature camp, the pool, haircuts, dance lessons etc~ and then carving out this long overdue house number sign for some very special residents. My parents had requested that I make them a sign similar to the one I made for our house. They've been very patient...maybe even thinking their dear daughter forgot...but alas I made it a point to finish in time for their visit over the weekend.

sign specifics: I cut a piece of soft pine (approx. 12" x 8" x 1-1/2" ); pencil transferred the house numbers and freehanded the flower border; dremeled the border to add some dimension; then...


...painted with rich red, green and brown tones to compliment their house. Three layers of heavy duty shellac will protect it from the elements.

I finished just in the nick of time for them to take home when departing this morning. My Dad will be attaching hooks so that this can hang on a lamp post. Now I'm reminded that our house number sign could use a restoration job after hanging outside for 10 years. Added to the list.

It has been awhile since I've stirred up sawdust and worked with wood so it was a fun project. Now I'm eager to get back to other endeavors including finishing up a few soon-to-be published articles. Details in the upcoming months! ; )