Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Raevn's Nest

I'm just returning from an incredible weekend spent in Cedarburg, Wisconsin. It was the first year for this venue and a first art retreat for me. And self-pat-on-the-back, I picked a good one. If the rock star mixed media instructors weren't enough, the town oozed with charm. Plus after a long day of being creative, cushy B & B accommodations provided a place to unwind and prep for more. Usually I can come up with a few constructive criticisms. Not so here...except maybe longer classes....which really wouldn't be practical, just me wanting more of a good thing.

And then there were my fellow retreaters. Everyone was so nice and supportive. These way cool gals were soooo funny and talented and nice. Thank you for hanging out with a Fufffff.

This photo makes me miss it already. Just look at all of those paint supplies, the diet coke and water within arms reach...a day to spread out and do nothing but create. big sigh.........
The fabulous Judy Wise taught this all day Encaustic Collage class. My collage piece featured one of my greatgreat grandfathers holding a bunch of whimsical balloons. The guy looked to me like he really needed to loosen up and have some fun.

That evening the unbelievable Laurie Mika taught her polymer clay Ancient Amulets class. Mine are on the left. More total fun.

And last, but certainly not least, I had the pleasure of learning a trick or two from the brilliant Michael deMeng in his Morpheus Box: A Transformation Chamber workshop. What an amazing class. I'm buying the book for sure. The box on the right is mine..not completely finished, but well underway.

So I'm thinking of becoming a professional art retreater. This time reminded me of how much I enjoyed my college art classes and creating just to create. Lots of sleepy brain cells were reawakened with new ideas and possibilities. Thanks go to all of my friendly classmates, instructors and especially Kim Rae Nugent for putting together such an inspiring retreat. To quote Arnold, "I'll be back." (for sure!)

1 comment:

Kim Rae Nugent said...

Hi June,
You and everyone else was so nice at the retreat I am looking forward to 2009.I love seeing the projects that you made. Especially the pressure gauge on top of the morpheus box. I have been wanting to do some assemblage again. Hmmm I'll have to check out my husbands garage. I'm glad you put the "Arnold" link in. I get it now but the only Arnold that came to mind was from Happy Days LOL!
:)Kim