Sunday, November 15, 2009

When Autumn gives you apples...

Homemade apple pie is something I crave every fall...errrr actually I crave throughout the year, but even more so when the leaves are changing and the air is crisp. I've found the best apple pie is made with a combination of different apples for a variety of tastes in each slice. My favorite mix is Granny Smiths and Jonathans. I also prefer a crumb topping rather than a top crust. Without further chitchat, here's my favorite recipe for a delicious apple pie.


apple filling:
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt

The bottom crust can be your favorite single crust pie recipe or a refrigerated Pillsbury crust...promise, I won't tell ; ). Line the pie plate with the bottom crust and add a fancy cookie cutter edge, if you desire. Then fill with the apple mixture from above.

To make the crumb topping, stir together:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
Use a pastry blender to cut in 1/2 cup butter or margarine till the topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apple mixture. To prevent over browning, cover the edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 25-30 minutes more until the pie top is golden.

Remove from oven and cool. Send hubby to store for forgotten vanilla ice cream and enjoy.

I'll be back soon. Many projects were wrapped up last week so now I'm enjoying time for things like pie, crafts and our nearly complete renovated bathroom! Hurray for Fall!

Also perfect for the season...a recipe for Gratitude rolls over here.

3 comments:

Carole said...

oh, boy! I love a good streusal topping!! Your pics are fabulous, too! Can't wait to make this,
thanks :-)

Unknown said...

Mmm, sounds delish! I usually make a 2-crust apple pie, but I'll have to try that crumb topping - I have a fridge full of apples right now! :) Thanks!

Unknown said...

Oh.my.amazing.goodness....

That pie looks absolutely... DELICIOUS!!! and you're recipe makes it look SO SIMPLE!!!
And I agree with @Carole, your åoctures are fabulous, too! :)
Thanks for posting this, it is VERY amazing, and I love streusel topping too. I'm sure that I'll be making this sometime soon :D

Yours sincerely,

The Creative Muslimah
www.thecreativemuslimah.blogspot.com