Monday, August 20, 2007

Daley design

I'm back in the office today. Daley design is my freelance graphic design business. I have the luxury of working at home which is something I've been doing now for eight+ years. Having my first child was the push I needed to realize that a 9-5 job wasn't working me. It hasn't always been a piece of cake. I have the photo to right posted on my bulletin board. It makes me laugh now. This is me (8 years ago--please forgive the hair) and my eldest daughter Cara who was a little over a year at the time. We're actually on a photo shoot together. The photographer had us test the light (way back in the day--no digital photography then) before the real subject of the photo stepped in. As you can see, Cara is not too happy to be on a photo shoot in the school president's office testing light. And even though I have a smile on my face, I can assure you I was NOT smiling on the inside. The president sat in this spot moments later. This is where I have to say a sincere thank you to all of my client's that overlooked my slightly underage, very unprofessional design assistant and stuck with me. It is definitely a juggling act. I've learned a lot along the way, including hiring a sitter, so that most times when I need to be out of the office for meetings or photo shoots I can be a solo act.

I design a wide variety of stuff including logos, magazines, posters, newsletters and brochures. Some weeks are busier than others and I admit to putting in some crazy hours. There is definitely no 9-5 and no routine schedule. The best part, besides being my own boss, is that my days are never boring (having three kids helps with that too.)

No comments: